When the toughest decision you'll have to make all year is which music festivals you'll be attending, you know it's summer time. With that being said, we've compiled a short and sweet list of must-haves to help you make it through these sweltering southern summer months, countless concerts, beach parties and yeah, even those mornings you wake up at someone else's house hungover and you can't shower. Don't worry. We got you.
1. First and foremost: Invest in a good makeup bag / clutch to carry around your necessities. Makeup bags seriously don't get enough credit, which is such a shame, considering the convenience of carrying around what is essentially a mini-bathroom in a purse. One of my close friends always keeps a bag in her car with an extra tooth brush, deodorant, concealer and I'm sure she'd love that I'm mentioning this part: extra underpants. The odds of getting stuck at a friend's house after one too many margaritas this summer are high. Friends don't let friends drive drunk. Friends also don't let friends live without the joys of carrying a makeup bag. Plus, you never know when you might need fresh underpants.
2. Every woman needs a floral crown. Since sassy songstress Lana Del Rey first flaunted her floral headgear last spring, it's been all the rage. Even if you're not bold enough to sport a full on crown, you can go for a smaller statement with some less bushy bright greenery instead. Test the waters, there are plenty of options out there. You can try browsing the handmade selection on Etsy or if you're feeling crafty - try making one yourself! You'll be surprised at how easy it is to rig together a crown of faux flowers with some hot glue and floral wire.
3. HAIR CHALK! I'm sorry about the caps explosion just then, but this topic really excites me. If you're new to the concept just take a stab at googling it and prepare to spend hours on end looking at colorful coifs. If you're a non-commital type in the hair department, then this option is especially for you. Have you always wanted to try out lavender hair but your job won't permit? Maybe pink is more your flavor? You can get an idea of how hair chalk works HERE. It's really as simple as lightly moistening your hair with product and applying the chalk - and will last as long as you allow, washing out easily with one shampoo.
4. An investment is defined as "a thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future." and a good investment is worth its weight in gold. Invest in some liquid gold this summer and purchase a good quality body balm or body butter. I'm not going to bore you with the difference in quality and moisture factor between balms and lotions, but spending the extra bucks on a thick, rich balm will keep your skin looking hydrated and ready for those super short-shorts and swim suits.
5. Speaking of moisture - never underestimate the power of a good lip balm, either. You can go full on starlet with a rich, luscious shade of fire engine red or if you prefer a subtler pout, you can go with nude or a sweet shade of baby pink. If you're going to be spending some serious time at the beach this summer, try to find something with a high SPF to keep you from getting the ever dreaded lip-burn. What? You really thought your body was the only thing to worry about? Guess again! Plus, I don't know a single man who would be eager to lock lips with a gal who has cracky, chapped zombie skin mouth. Keep that pout smooch ready, ladies. You never know who you'll meet this summer!
6. If you aren't already familiar with dry shampoo, then let me introduce you! Like many of my lovely lady friends, I don't always have time to hop in the shower and spend an hour blow drying my impossibly tangly tresses. Time is money, and spending two hours shampooing, conditioning, rinsing, repeating and then blow drying until I want to scream is hardly how I prefer to spend my time. (Which was also why such a thing as a 'Blow Dry Bar' was invented) Instead, in less than five minutes I can concur my greasy locks with a few puffs of dry shampoo - which instantly refreshes my roots, gives my hair volume and most definitely helps improve the "I seriously haven't showered in three days" scent that comes along with a hard day's work. I'll just go ahead and call this a miracle cure for life's little inconveniences.
7. If you feel a little put-off by the flower crown fad but still want to play around with hair options this summer, why not try a hair bow? I know you're probably revisiting middle school when your mom would force them on you - I know I'm guilty of the thought, but why not give hair bows a second chance? They don't have to look juvenile if you pair them with the right outfit, and might even add some adorable, girly charm to an otherwise toned down summer dress or swim ensemble. If you're not a bow person, you can always go for clips, braids, or a fabulous hat.
8. Last, but certainly not least - the number one necessity of summer will always be a smokin' pair of shades. They save your eyes from the sun's damaging rays and they even hide those unfortunate under eye circles that come with a morning hangover from hell due to little or no sleep. I love anything multi-purpose. If you're still trying to figure out which frames fit your face, check out this sweet little how-to guide by Rivet and Sway. Trendsetters are picking up sunnies in all kinds of shades this season - neon, clear, super reflective lenses and sassy cat-eye shapes. Don't be afraid to try a new and exciting style instead of sticking with basic black.